The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has announced the 2008 Champions of the Earth. The award recognizes individuals from around the world who show extraordinary leadership on environmental issues. This year's champions are:
- Helen Clark, New Zealand's Prime Minister;
- Balgis Osman-Elasha, senior researcher at Sudan's Higher Council for Environment & Natural Resources;
- Atiq Rahman, Executive Director of the Bangladesh Centre for Advanced Studies;
- Prince Albert II of Monaco;
- Liz Thompson, former Energy and Environment Minister of Barbados;
- Timothy E. Wirth, former US Senator;
- Abdul-Qader Ba-Jammal, the Secretary General of the Yemen People's General Congress.