Jagger Library Recovery

• Recovering the Archive
    by Michal Singer, Principal Archivist for Primary Collections (Archives) in Special Collections, UCT Libraries First Responders “Good news. The basements are intact. Can you come on site now to show the technical team around?” I leapt into my car and made the longest drive to work. This was how the Salvage started for me, on […]
  • After the Salvage
    by Mandy Noble, Principal Librarian for Published Collections, Special Collections, UCT Libraries Listen to Mandy Noble in conversation with Nancy Richards about the Jagger Fire and the Salvage on the bookspeoplestories podcast. Much has been written by colleagues and journalists, in very moving pieces, of the momentous salvage project following the Table Mountain fire of […]
  • Jagger : the remains of the day
    My name is Alex D’Angelo, and I have been a librarian at UCT for more than a quarter of a century. I remember when the Jagger reading room was stripped of its tatty 1970s additions, and institutional green carpet, and worn-out tubular-steel chairs, and put back to the way it had been when it was […]
  • My Personal Journey Through COVID, Fire and Salvage to Recovery
    by Beverley Angus, African Studies Librarian, Special Collections 2021 began very badly After almost a year of working from home, isolating, and cancelling a trip to visit my family in Scotland, a very close friend, Kathy, was admitted to hospital on the 4th of January with COVID and died on the 21st of January. After […]
  • To the Jagger Salvage Volunteers. Thank you.
    by Thomas Slingsby, UCT Libraries My name is Thomas Slingsby. I have worked for UCT Libraries since 2019 as a GIS Officer. Geographic Information Systems, or GIS, is a software system for handling, analysing, and visualising spatial data. Simply put, my role is to assist researchers to analyse and map any spatial data they collect […]